Monday, October 20, 2008

No Longer to Linger



This morning my rallying cry came from an old Baptist hymn, "I Am Resolved." Since the season's change has brought on cooler morning temps, I have lazed in bed for hours past the alarm. This sets off an unpleasant chain reaction of rushing to get ready for work, attempting to prepare breakfast in the space of 5 minutes and running in to the office 20 min. late.

But I can't be a slugabed forever, so I resolved this Monday would be different. It's amazing how well the hymns lyrics fit what I was feeling as I turned the 5:45 a.m. alarm off. "I am resolved no longer to linger,Charmed by the world’s delight, Things that are higher, things that are nobler,These have allured my sight.I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free; Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee."

I do delight in the comfort of my bed, but I needed to hasten to the tasks at hand. Namely, cleaning my Chacos, washing the dishes, making a fantastic french press of espresso coffee and writing this post before getting pretty for the day. So now as a savor the last few bites of ginger granola and yogurt, I can reflect on what God has in store for me today.

"I am resolved to follow the Savior,
Faithful and true each day;
Heed what He sayeth, do what He willeth,
He is the living Way."


Author's note: I fried some shark steaks last week and my house has smelled horrible since. I've tried burning candles, setting out baking soda, leaving my back door open, etc, but nothing worked for very long. I finally got a solution from the Martha Stewart Homekeeping Handbook:

Ingredients:
1 Lemon
5-10 Whole Cloves
Water
Small Saucepan

Slice the lemon into 5-6 slices and combine the lemon, clove and water (to an inch from the top)of the saucepan. Simmer for as long as you like.

This has not only effectively eradicated the shark smell, but has made the whole house smell like fall. Be sure to keep an eye on it if you plan to simmer for an hour or more, the water will evaporate. Just add more water as needed.

Thanks to Waco twitterer http://twitter.com/jraddin for reminding me I had a blog to tend to, and to http://breadsite.org for their collection of scanned open source hymns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. The secret to hastening is to do so "glad and free." If it is drudgery then we won't hasten.

robert said...

Thanks for the quotation of Palmer Hartsough's fine hymn. (Today is the 77th anniversary of his death.) He issues a challenge that's as relevant today as when the song was written--that we would set our hearts on higher and nobler things, as followers of Christ.

If you enjoy old hymns, I invite you to drop by my daily blog on hymns, Wordwise Hymns.

And if I ever indulge in shark steaks, I now know how to fumigate the house!

God bless.