Thursday, December 28, 2006

Emily Dickinson's words and other musings

Emily Dickinson gives me hope. I read her poetry and realize that life isn't so bad. Here is a few lines lifted out of some of her poems into a creation of my own:

Sequestered afternoon...
Woe appears
Enacts Intoxication
Incautious of the sum
I could not see
Things overlooked before

Taking lines from poetry is a good inspiration for other writings. Thing overlooked before-- Today I was contemplating the depravity of man. Which is of course a depressing subject. But, does it have to be?

Reasons to live

Sin, the fall, so necessary
Vital
Grace is not a mass produced, Made in China, mail-order plastic toy.
It is not something that comes cheap.
Grace is the honest expression of what cannot be bought.
It's not on Ebay or sold in WalMart. To a millionaire grace's cost is more than $1 billion.
To a poor man, it is more costly than the next meal.
Deprave culture. Sinful nature. Hate.
Make grace meaningful.

SJ Photo-A unique crucifix that I hang over my bed. I bought it in a Catholic relics shop in Queretaro, Mexico. It is one of the only crosses I own and I keep it over my bed as an extra reminder of Christ's sacrifice when I rise and when I go to bed.



Finally, I mused on the phrase "finding time."

Finding Time

Is time lost?
Time marches
Time passes
Time flies
Time disappears
Where did the time go?
Who has stolen it?
Is there a reward for finding it?
Father Time must be worried--
The whole world is struggling to keep track of his offspring and yet,
time stands still
We are the ones who are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sister whose poems are swell...
If only I could write so well
But it's no secret, you can tell
That my poems really smell

lol! No but seriously, I love your poetry and especially the one that tied in the diff perspectives of the poor man and the rich man. Seriuosly, you should be a writer...:). No but seriously...I 've never read any of your stuff like this and now I know that God has destined you for great things.

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me". "
-Erma Bombeck

Anonymous said...

vote for sanjaya